Weekly Current Affairs Capsule -02- 24th September, 2017
Current affairs are required in almost all examination starting from banking, SSC to management interviews. Check this space for weekly current affair capsules and keep yourself updated.
POLITICS & ECONOMY
1. WHO’s grant to Bangladesh’s "vulnerable population" (Related to ROHINGYA MUSLIMS’s EXODUS)
- It is an emergency funding of $175,000 to provide life-saving healthcare to the “vulnerable population” in Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazaar.
- This will be The WHO South-East Asia Regional Health Emergency Fund (SEARHEF) grant.
- DG of WHO: Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
2. Fifty countries have signed a United Nations treaty to ban nuclear weapons
- Brazil was the first country to sign.
3. India is collaborating with Russia to build the Roppur nuclear power plant in Bangladesh
- It will be India’s first atomic energy venture abroad.
- It will be Bangladesh’s first atomic energy project.
4. International Day of Peace: 21st September 2017
- Theme: “Together for Peace: Respect, Safety and Dignity for All.”
- To inaugurate the day, United Nations Peace Bell is rung at UN Headquarters.
5. China has opened a strategic highway in Tibet to Nepal border
- It is to be used for civilian & defense purposes.
6. Mercedes Araoz Fernandez appointed as new Prime Minister of Peru.
7. China & Russia have begun naval drills near North Korea
- This is between Peter the Great Bay near Russia-North Korea border and southern part of Sea of Okhotsk.
8. 13th Meeting of Inter-Governmental Commission (IGC)
- It was held in Astana, Kazakhstan.
ENVIRONMENT & ECOLOGY
1. First ‘BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise- 2017’ (BIMSTEC DMEx-2017) to be held
- Lead Agency: National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), India.
- Duration: October 10-13, 2017
- Venue: New Delhi, India
- Objective: A platform for sharing Best Practices on all aspects of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), strengthening regional response and coordination for Disaster Management among the BIMSTEC member countries.
2. The International Day for Preservation of Ozone Layer (or World Ozone Day) is observed every year on September 16
- Theme for 2017: ‘Caring for all life under the sun’.
- The day was designated by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on December 19, 1994.
- Observed to commemorate the date in 1987 on which the Montreal Protocol was signed on substances that deplete the ozone layer.
1. Riz Ahmed: First man of Asian descent to win an acting award at the Emmys
- He is a British actor of Pakistani descent.
2. 69th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards
- VENUE: Microsoft Theater, Los Angeles, California, U.S
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Veep
- Outstanding Television Movie -Black Mirror: “San Junipero”
- Outstanding Drama Series: The Handmaid’s Tale.
1. Official emblem and slogan for FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019 launched in Paris
- SLOGAN: “Dare To Shine”
- EMBLEM: Competition trophy wrapped in blue and white, with eight shards of light around football at the top of the trophy symbolizing the eighth edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- It will be the eighth edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup (from June 7 to July 7, 2019).
2. The fifth Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games are being held in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.
3. Lewis Hamilton won the Singapore Grand Prix after defeating Sebastian Vettel.
4. Chis Gayle: 1st batsman to complete a century of sixes in T20Is
- Reached the milestone during his 52nd match , T20I against England.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
1. World’s fastest commercially run bullet train in CHINA
- China restored the maximum speed of bullet trains on the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway line to 350 kilometers per hour.
1. According to WTO's Report, world trade in goods is estimated to grow at a higher 3.6 percent in 2017.
2. Saudi Arabia has decided to lift ban on internet calling apps.
3. China has issued a commemorative stamp in honor of the world’s largest radio telescope located in Guizhou province.
4. India has replaced China as the top retail destination in global retail development index in 2017.
5. Europe’s second-largest steel enterprise
- Proposed to be created by a MoU signed between Tata Steel and Thyssenkrupp AG.
6. Google to buy part of HTC Corp.’s engineering and design teams for $1.1 billion.
7. Baidu ( Chinese Search Engine) has announced a 10 billion yuan autonomous driving fund as part of a wider plan to speed up its technical development and compete with U.S. rivals. 8. Zannah Mustapha( Award) - UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) 2017 Nansen Refugees Award
- He is from Nigeria.
- Reason for award- for his humanitarian work in championing the rights of children.
8. Google become latest international giant to enter into India’s fast growing digital payment ecosystem
- Google’s Unified Payments Interface (UPI) based digital payment service Tez (meaning fast in Hindi).
- It was launched in New Delhi, India.